Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Testing the site before going live, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Weddings and Special Events.
- Before you go live with your site,…there's a couple of things you're gonna want to do first.…In this case, going live means sharing…your URL with the world, and inviting people in.…So before we do that, we want to make sure…that our site looks fantastic in several browsers.…So we already know it looks good in Firefox,…'cause that's what we've built it in.…Let's check it out in Chrome.…
And really, you just want to run through a few pages…to make sure nothing looks out of place.…It looks pretty fantastic there.…Now, let's check it on Safari.…And everything looks great.…Once we're sure that it looks good across the board,…we want to go back to our WordPress admin,…and uncheck a very special setting.…If you go to your Settings menu,…and then go to the Reading page,…we've got this Search Engine Visability.…
And right now, it says "Let's discourage search engines…"from indexing this site."…We actually want this site to be indexed by search engines,…so that people can find us.…So we uncheck that box and click Save Changes.…
Ready for the next stage? Find more courses in this series by searching for Wordpress DIY.
- Making a content inventory
- Finding, installing, and activating the right theme for your site
- Setting up menus and other configuration options
- Using plugins to add features like a gallery or guestbook
- Launching your WordPress site