Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Solution: Create your basic theme structure, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- If you followed along with the challenge,…you should now have the basics…of your child theme ready to go.…Let's recap everything that we have so far.…So, in the challenge,…you created an empty folder for your theme.…From there, you added style.css with your DocBlock.…Next, you created a function.php file, added the DocBlock,…loaded your child theme text domain…and added an empty setup function.…After that, you created your front-page template file,…adding a DocBlock and calling the genesis function.…
The final step was to import some demo content…so that you've got some basic content…in your WordPress site to start working with.…And with that, we're ready to move on.…Remember, you can refer to the exercise files…at any point if you need a little extra help.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Advanced
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.