Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up the top bar widget areas, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Restaurant Website.
- One of the goals for this site was to highlight…the location and how to contact the resaurant.…One of the reasons I chose the Swank theme,…is because I like these above the header widget areas…that will show up for site visitors right up top.…So to meet this goal, I'll use the Top Bar Left…and Top Bar Right widget areas to…add in directions and a phone number.…Let's go back to our dashboard, find our widgets,…and I'll show you what I mean.…First, let's start with this Top Bar Left.…I'm going to Add a Widget,…and since it's just a phone number,…a plain Text widget will do just fine.…
And as you can see in the preview,…that phone number is showing up at the top left of the page.…Next, we have our Top Bar Right.…Here, we're going to add a link to those directions.…Once again, the Text widget will do just fine.…For these directions, I could either provide a link…to my locations page, or I could send them…directly to a Google Map, so that users are just…a click away from personalized driving directions.…I like that latter option, so let's do that.…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Making a basic content inventory
- Finding a suitable theme
- Setting up widgets and navigation
- Creating a menu with the Food and Drink Menu plugin
- Adding a responsive slider
- Using Jetpack for reservations
- Testing the site
Skill Level Beginner
Up and Running with Genesis for WordPresswith Carrie Dils52m 21s Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.