Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Sass, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- In this course, I'm showing you how to create…a very basic theme from scratch.…But if you wanted to, you could take these concepts…and apply them toward building your very own…perfect starter theme.…If you build a lot of themes,…seriously consider using a starter theme.…You can use that theme as the base for…every theme project you do, and save yourself a lot of time…by reusing code you've already written.…If you decide to go down the path of…creating a starter theme,…I'd highly recommend learning Sass.…It'll speed up your development workflow significantly.…There are several courses in the library…that can help you do just that.…
You've got "Sass Essential Training,"…"WordPress: Developing with Sass and Grunt,"…and "Responsive CSS with Sass and Compass."…There's one more thing I'd like to show you.…I took the Genesis Sample Theme that we've been looking at…and broke out the CSS into Sass files.…I've put it up on GitHub and called it "in-the-beginning."…That was my terrible pun on the word "Genesis."…It's a very basic example, but it will give you an idea…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.