Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Remove Genesis defaults, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- One of the great things about…the Genesis framework, is that…so much comes with the theme by default.…For instance, there are six default layout options,…which means that, that's six that…I don't have to create for my child theme.…They're just there by default.…Now, if you don't want any of these…defaults, Genesis provides an easy…way for you to remove them.…So, let's say that I don't want to use…any of these double sidebar layouts.…I'd like to get rid of them.…Now, you may say to yourself, "I'm…not going to use those layouts, but…it doesn't bother me if they stay there."…Well, it should bother you and I'll tell you why.…
When you're coding a theme from scratch,…you're responsible for adding styles…for every little thing, since you're…literally starting with nothing.…Having all six layouts available…means that you need to create…styles to support each of those.…So, if you don't need all of them,…save yourself the work of styling them…by simply removing them.…So, we'll use the Genesis "unregister…layout" function to get rid of the ones we don't want.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.