Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Register widget areas, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- Widgets are an awesome feature in WordPress.…For a theme user, they don't require code…or any particular expertise and they offer…some control of the design, structure of the site.…Now, we're not creating widgets in this course…but we are going to create some widget areas…and this is where users can eventually drag and drop…their desired widgets.…How you decide to use widget areas on your theme…depends heavily on the eventual purpose of the theme.…For our client, you might opt to use fewer widget areas…and rely more on custom styles or templates…as it's not intended for the client…to go about moving these things.…
On the other hand, if you're creating a theme…that you want to distribute using a lot of widget areas…as a great way to give control…and flexibility to the end of user.…I'm going to show you a couple of options…for adding widget areas to your theme.…For starters, we're going to use this code…over on the studiopress.com tutorial…for how to register a widget area.…I'll copy that and paste it…directly into my set up function.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.