Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Media queries, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- Media Queries are those delightful bits of CSS…that enables us to create a responsive web design.…You can use breakpoints to determine exactly…how your site will look on various screen sizes.…You may have noticed I haven't added any Media Queries…to the theme I've built in this course.…And that's because this course isn't meant to teach CSS…but rather the concept of building…a Genesis child theme from scratch.…That said, a responsive theme…which makes for a responsive website is no longer…just a nice thing to have, it's an expectation.…
If you're providing professional theme development services,…you want to be sure you're using Media Queries…to create a responsive site.…If working with Media Queries is something you'd like…to learn more about, I recommend…the Applied Responsive Design course with James Williamson.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.