Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding a theme that meets your needs, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Community Website.
- Themes are really cool! They're what allow us to change the appearance and display of a WordPress site. Now, I bet your community is pretty awesome too. It's unique, and it's a reflection of your culture and membership. So, when you're looking for the right WordPress theme, keep in mind, you want to find one that's a match for your organization's style. While there are many thousands of themes available for WordPress, the selection narrows quite a bit when it comes to child themes for the Genesis framework. Even so, there's still a ton of choices available, and that can be overwhelming when you set about the process of looking for your ideal theme.
In this movie, I'll show you some things to keep in mind as you go on your search. First, make a list of requirements before you search. This'll help you narrow down or rule out any possibilities along the way. Second, know where to search and realize that not all themes are created equal in terms of quality and support. Third, know there's a chance that your perfect theme doesn't exist. You have to be willing to either compromise on some of the things you want, or spend the time and money it takes to build a custom theme made just for you.
While the typical Genesis theme is under a hundred dollars, custom themes can cost into the thousands of dollars. So, it's definitely worth the time to see if there's already a theme out there that meets your needs. Lastly, make sure a theme comes with good documentation and some form of support. If you're buying directly from StudioPress, you're good to go on both accounts. If you're buying from a third party theme seller, don't be afraid to ask questions before you buy. That'll give you some insight as to that seller's support style and the documentation they make available for their customers.
So, let's make that list of requirements. We want a theme that reflects the community center's style while making sure information is accessible and easy to find. We want a customizable front page so that we can create a nice place to welcome the community and communicate whatever's currently going on. Finally, we want a theme that follows current standards. That means, a responsive layout that includes HTML5 markup and has all the standard features you would expect in a current, modern theme. Now that we've narrowed down the requirements.
The next step is knowing where to look. Studiopress.com is the largest repository of Genesis themes. But, if you can't find what you're looking there, there are a lot of third party themes available around the web. Most of these are paid. But occasionally, you'll find some free ones. Here's a few, just to give you an idea. We've got Websavvy marketing. Outside of StudioPress, they're the largest collection of Genesis themes. We've got the Utility Pro theme by me, I create themes too, and we've got Simple Pro themes with their new Flex Pro theme.
This is just a sampling. There are so many more places where you can find great Genesis themes online. Just do a Google search. Once you've found a theme you like and downloaded it, you'll be able to upload it via your WordPress admin area.
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Understanding your site goals
- Making a content inventory
- Choosing a theme and plugins
- Configuring the menus and layout
- Extending functionality with plugins
- Adding forums, events, and forms to your website
- Securing your site and managing spam