Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Display active widget areas on your front page, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Now that we're checking to see whether…or not our widget areas are active,…we need to write some code to tell it…where we want to display our widgets…and the code to say how to display our widgets.…So, let's start with the where.…There's a really cool plug-in…called Genesis Visual Hook Guide.…It shows you where every hook is on the page.…It helps you make a visual decision…about where you want to place something.…I've already installed that on our site.…So, if we go, look at the site,…you'll see this new G Hook Guide option…and we'll check Action Hooks.…
So, I can see the before, the before header,…the actual header and down here…where we get into our entry content.…Now, since I'm going to be displaying a home welcome widget,…I want that near the top of the page, up near the header.…So, actually, I'm going to place it just directly…after the header on this genesis_after_header hook.…So, we'll write an add_action,…tell it that we want to hook to genesis_after_header.…And now, we need to create a function…that says exactly what it is we want to display.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.