Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Customize the site appearance, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- So now that we've got some content…in these widget areas to work with,…let's go ahead and start styling them out.…I'll walk you through the style changes that I want to make…and I'll take a look at the code to do that.…So up here in the header area,…if we use our Insect Element tool,…we can see that we've got the title area…and the header widget area…and I want those instead of stacked vertically…to display horizontally with the set title on the left…and these icons in line over on the right.…Now for this sidebar newsletter widget,…I would like to extend this button…to be the full width, the same width as the input…and create just a little space between those two.…
If we head down to our footer widgets,…we can see that they are stacked vertically…just like our header area currently is.…So we need to take each of these…for the widgets and break it apart.…Since we have three,…I'm going to go roughly 1/3 for each one.…And then finally for our footer,…I'm going to change up the font sizing just a little bit,…add a little padding and center that text.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.