Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Create your theme folder, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- The Genesis Framework includes numerous…action hooks and filters you can use…to either modify the default behaviors of Genesis…or add new functionality.…The Framework itself contains all the templates…needed for a child theme.…This means that child theming with Genesis…is more about utilizing those hooks and filters,…than it is about creating templates,…like you would with a more traditional WordPress theme.…In fact, you can create a child theme…with just a single file: style.css…To get started, let's take a look…at the local WordPress site I created.…
We're running the 2015 theme…and we can see what it looks like in the browser…with this default "Hello world!" post…that comes with WordPress,…and we can know it's 2015 because…if we go to Appearance and Themes…from our Admin panel,…we see the 2015 theme is activated.…Now, I'd like my new theme…to show up here in the same window.…In order to do that, I'll navigate to the files…for this WordPress install, find wp-content,…themes, and from there I can see both…the Genesis Framework installed and the 2015 theme.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Advanced
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.