Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Create your basic theme structure, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- At this point, I have the bones of my theme set up…and I'd like to challenge you to go ahead…and create a basic theme structure just like mine.…You'll start by creating a folder for your theme…and then add the three core files starting with style.css.…You're just going to add a DocBlock, functions.php.…Add your DocBlock, load your text domain…and create an empty setup function hooking it…into Genesis setup.…And finally, front-page.php.…Create your DocBlock and don't forget…to call the Genesis function.…
Once you've done that, go ahead…and import some demo content.…And with that, you'll be creating…your first Genesis child theme from scratch.…I'll see you in about 15 minutes.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Advanced
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.