Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Build out front-page.php, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- In the last couple of movies,…I've shown you how to set up a basic front-page.…Now, I'd like you to take your new knowledge…and do the same.…Specifically, start by creating a wrapper function…for your homepage setup…and be sure to hook it to the appropriate location.…I use Genesis meta.…From there, you'll want to create a check…to see if your widget areas are active and then if they are,…create functions that display those widgets.…Finally, you want to hook those functions…to the page location that makes sense for your theme.…
I use Genesis after header.…So, go ahead, give it a try…and I'll see you in about 20 minutes.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.