Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Add CSS to your theme, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- In this chapter, we've talked about…how to style our custom theme.…I'd like to give you a chance to catch up…and try some of these things on your own.…Specifically, I'd like you to add the CSS for HTML5 Reset…and the default HTML elements.…Feel free to borrow from the Genesis sample theme.…I'd also like to try adding a Google Font…and using it in your CSS.…Finally, for any custom widget areas…that you've created for your theme,…go ahead and try adding some styles for those.…As always, if you get stuck,…feel free to refer to the exercise files.…
Have fun and I'll see you in about 30 minutes.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.