Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding food menu sections to the front page, part of WordPress and Genesis DIY: Restaurant Website.
- The swank theme has this nice area…with the circles on the home page…that would be perfect for displaying our core menu sections.…Looking at the swank setup tutorial,…it looks like they've got four instances…of the Genesis - Featured Page widget in that widget area.…Let's go see if we can set that up on our site.…I'll drag an instance of the Genesis - Featured Page widget…over to the Home Page Featured Post Circles widget area.…Now here's where we run into a little problem.…Our menu sections aren't pages.…So how do we get those to show up…as available in this widget?…Well, we can make them pages.…
To do that, we're going to create individual menus…for each of those sections.…I've already created three,…and let's make this last one together.…We'll click Add Menu,…and I want this to be…the Salads,…and the only section I'm going to…put on this menu is the Salads.…That's it.…So once I've published that, it's going to give me…a short code that I can use in a page…to display this menu.…So let's go create a page,…and we'll call it Salads.…
Find more courses in this series in our WordPress DIY playlist.
- Making a basic content inventory
- Finding a suitable theme
- Setting up widgets and navigation
- Creating a menu with the Food and Drink Menu plugin
- Adding a responsive slider
- Using Jetpack for reservations
- Testing the site
Skill Level Beginner
Up and Running with Genesis for WordPresswith Carrie Dils52m 21s Beginner
1. Preparing to Build a Site
2. Picking and Configuring a Theme
3. Extending Functionality with Plugins
4. Going Live
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.