Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Add content to widget areas, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- So right about now, you may be thinking,…"Thank goodness Carrie's a developer,…because she is certainly not a designer".…I know my theme is looking kind of pitiful,…but let's go in and spruce it up a bit.…The first thing I want to do is flush out…some of these widget areas, so that I have…a little bit more content on the page to work with.…So in our Header Right area, I think I want…to put some social media icons.…To do that, I'm going to use the…Simple Social Icons plugin.…
Let's activate that.…And now if we go to Appearance, Widgets,…you'll see that we have a new widget available…for the Simple Social Icons.…We'll do some basic configuration.…And enter our URLs.…
Of course, I'm just using sample URLs for now.…All right, and now we turn to our Primary Sidebar,…and for that, I think I'd like to put a newsletter signup.…I'm going to use the Genesis eNews Extended plugin.…We can install that from directly within our…WordPress Admin.…And once we activate that, we'll see a…new widget area for Genesis eNews Extended.…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.