Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Add a basic theme setup function, part of WordPress and Genesis: Building Child Themes from Scratch.
- In the previous movie, we disccused…the two ways to initialize the genesis framework.…The first, by directly including the inet.php file,…and the second by hooking our code…into the genesis setup function.…First things first, let's create…a function that hooks to genesis setup.…Eventually, it will include all of our theme setup details.…I'll do that by saying, "add action" specifying…the genesis setup function is the…place we want to hook into and then…entering the name for the function I want to execute here.…
I'll call mine "scratch setup."…While you can technically name this function…anything you want, it's a best practice…to preface all custom functions…with your theme's text domain.…Consistently naming your functions this way…makes them easy to identify and differentiate…from genesis or other WordPress functions.…Speaking of text domains, I need to load…my theme text domain and I'll do that…by using the "load child theme" text domain function.…This function accepts a couple of parameters.…The one optional one is the actual…
- Why build a theme from scratch?
- Creating a theme folder
- Creating the CSS and PHP files
- Adding a theme setup function
- Adding features and functionality to your child theme
- Styling the theme
- Adding content to widgets
- Making the theme responsive with media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Theme
2. Setting Up Your Basic Theme Structure
3. Generating Site Features and Functionality
4. Building Out Your CSS
5. Going Further with CSS
6. Putting It All Together
Prepare your theme2m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.