Join Damian Allen for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Sustain, part of GarageBand '09 Essential Training.
The Sustain Pedal is actually a Compressor. What a Compressor does is reduces…the volume of really loud sounds so that the overall volume levels are much more even. …The reason the compressor is sometimes called the Sustain is because…when you initially strike a chord the high volume sounds are reduced by the…compressor, but as the sound of the Guitar decays, the compressor reduces…its effect. The result is the illusion that the sound lasts longer since…it stays at an even volume for a longer period of time.…
If you haven't already, choose the Clean Combo pre-set, click on the Sustain Pedal. …The Pedal is extremely simple. The higher the Sustain control is set,…the more it compresses the signal.…(Music plays)…Adjust the Level control for the final output volume. …(Music plays)…Just know that at high Sustain level you lose a great deal of dynamics from your guitar playing.…
So be careful when using this on more subtle lead parts.…The one other control here is the Attack. This determines how quickly the compressor kicks in. …
- Creating a project from scratch
- Making music instantly with Magic GarageBand
- Learning the guitar and keyboard with the lessons in GarageBand
- Using piano and orchestral and analog synth software instruments
- Mixing tracks for a balanced composition
- Working with the new stomp boxes and virtual guitar amps
- Effectively applying reverb, echo, compressors, and EQ
- Exporting and sharing compositions
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started with GarageBand '09
What's new in GarageBand '091m 31s
2. Magic GarageBand
3. Taking Lessons
4. Recording with GarageBand
5. Working with Loops
6. Creating Electric Guitar Tracks
7. Using Software Instruments
8. Editing and Mixing
9. Sharing a Song
10. Additional Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.