Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Drummer to create custom drumbeats, part of GarageBand Essential Training.
- In this chapter, we've been looking primarily…at GarageBand's built-in Loop Library, and…as you've seen, it's perfectly possible and fairly easy…to build an entire song completely out of loops.…But I'd say in many cases you'll probably be using loops…to add to your project in which you'll probably be…recording software or real instrument performances.…Many people just use loops to fill in for instruments…they don't have, can't play or can't practically record.…One of the toughest instruments to record well…is a full drum kit, which traditionally requires several…microphones and knowing where to properly place them.…
If you're a songwriter and you just want to get…a demo of a song down, setting up a drum kit…and recording it might take too long or be too daunting.…As we've seen, you can turn to the Loop Library…in GarageBand and select from hundreds…of drum loops and find the loops that best…match the sound and feel you're going for.…But one of the drawbacks of using loop drums…is that you can't really change the performance itself.…
- Creating a new project
- Adding tracks
- Working with loops
- Recording Software Instrument tracks
- Getting real sounds into your Mac
- Recording and compositing multiple tracks
- Arranging, editing, and mixing your project
- Sharing your music with the Share menu
- Controlling GarageBand remotely from an iPad
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/24/2014. What changed?
A: We added one new movie ("What's new in GarageBand 10.0.3") and revised three others ("Customizing the bass sound," "Using Audio Unit and third-party plugins," and "Using the Share menu") to reflect the changes in GarageBand 10.0.3.
Q: This course was updated on 8/03/2015. What changed?
A: We added two new movies, one covering the general 6/30/2015 update to GarageBand and one at the end of chapter 3 on working with and automating the new synth sounds and Transform Pad.
Learning Songwriting: GarageBandwith Garrick Chow1h 36m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Loops and Drummer
3. Working with Software Instruments
4. Working with Real Instruments
5. Arranging, Editing, and Mixing Your Project
6. Exporting, Sharing, and Archiving Your Project
7. Other Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.