Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding MIDI and Musical Typing, part of GarageBand Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…Now, let's talk about software instruments.…For this chapter, I'm going to create a new empty project song file.…And I'll choose a software instrument track.…So, to talk about working with software instruments…in GarageBand, we need to talk about MIDI.…As I mentioned in the previous chapter, MIDI, which…stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface, is a method for…electronic instruments to communicate with each other, and with computers…and various other devices that speak language the midi language.…MIDI instruments are often referred to as MIDI controllers, because…they are used to control MIDI software, such as GarageBand.…
Now when you sit down and play a note on…a real honest to goodness piano, let's say you play…middle C, you're actually causing a felt hammer to strike…a string in the piano, which resonates to produce a sound.…When you play a MIDI keyboard however, pressing the C triggers a…sample or recording of middle C that's been saved on your computer.…There are no hammers or strings involved.…
- Creating a new project
- Adding tracks
- Working with loops
- Recording Software Instrument tracks
- Getting real sounds into your Mac
- Recording and compositing multiple tracks
- Arranging, editing, and mixing your project
- Sharing your music with the Share menu
- Controlling GarageBand remotely from an iPad
Skill Level Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Loops and Drummer
3. Working with Software Instruments
4. Working with Real Instruments
5. Arranging, Editing, and Mixing Your Project
6. Exporting, Sharing, and Archiving Your Project
7. Other Features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.