- All right, so now we're rolling down the road and we actually did get stuck in some pretty heavy traffic on the way out of town. We were probably not moving for about forty-five minutes to an hour. But it did give us an opportunity to talk about some song ideas, and I think Larry came up with something that we want to, we want to try out. So what I've done here is, I've hooked up the iPad. I'm running GarageBand on this. And I'm running the audio cable from the headphone jack into the car's audio system here, so (piano riff) can actually hear what's going on in the van. But I'm also connected to the M-Audio 25-key keyboard here through the USB to lightning connector so Larry can actually play.
(piano chords) some actual keys, and I really do prefer GarageBand for this sort of setup because it has such a large library of different sounds. So if I wanted to switch to a different keyboard sound, for some reason, we have that option. But I think we'll stick with the Grand Piano for this one. (piano glissando) So with this set up, you know, it just took me a minute to pull this out and hook it up, so we can now let Larry tell us about his idea.
- Well, being stuck in a van for a period of time on our way to Brooklyn I have an idea for this, very original thought. That we're hardly moving all the way to Brooklyn. So, I don't know if you guys like that or not, but I have a, like I have a melody in my head that would go, let me get this right. (vocalizing with piano notes) So it'd be, ♫ Hardly moving ♫ On the way ♫ to Brooklyn (humming with piano notes) - [Voiceover] Nice.
- I don't know where it goes from there, but I was thinking that maybe there could be a verse, out of like an A minor. - Oh, so that wasn't the verse? I kinda heard that as a verse - [Voiceover] It does sound like a verse, yeah. - It could be a verse, I mean, I don't really know. I guess I thought of it as a chorus, but this other section is, either way, they go together. I don't have a melody for this. And I can barely play it.
- [Voiceover] I hear that part more as a verse - [Voiceover] You hear that as a verse? - Yeah - [Voiceover] This, right now? - What he's doing right there, yeah. - And then to this chorus - The barely moving part, chorus, - Hardly moving or barely moving? - Well, I was saying hardly, barely moving could work. - I kind of like barely, it's got that hard consonant, buh, barely. - [Voiceover] Larry, would you be able to tweak it even a little further, like, barely moving I like. On this road, instead of all the way. Like, on this road, that we are currently on.
I like that. - Barely moving, on this road to Brooklyn? - [Voiceover] Brooklyn, yeah. - Well, yeah, I do like that. It is very, what's going on. - Makes it into a road story. ♫ Barely moving ♫ On this road to Brooklyn ♫ - [Voiceover] That's cool, see, now, yeah, I like that. I like it. ♫ Barely moving ♫ - [Voiceover] We got a harmony part, up, on top of that. - All right, where, do you want to, where do you want me to be? - Do, start at, barely moving.
I'll sing it with you. ♫ Barely moving ♫ On this road to Brooklyn ♫ - That's great - [Voiceover] Nice - I really like that. Wait, do that again. ♫ Barely moving ♫ On this road to Brooklyn ♫ - [Voiceover] Okay, I hear it as a chorus now. (laughing) - I like it. - [Voiceover] Yeah, I can see that, too. - And then the A minor part. That's a verse. - Yeah, again, I don't know what we're going to do with that, but they fit together nicely.
It goes into that. - Nice. It's not the easiest thing to play this keyboard, is it? - No, actually, it's like two-finger typing. - Yeah, you have a smaller keyboard, with fewer keys, we're bouncing up and down. - [Voiceover] Well, we couldn't fit a real piano in here. - We couldn't, yeah, we couldn't fit a full piano. - And I'm not a great keyboard player. - But I still think it's worth it, because it's still easier than, I think, playing the keys on the screen of the iPad here. - No, I agree. - And it allows us to sort of capture the idea I don't think we want a guitar out here either, to be playing.
- [Voiceover] Hey, Tom, get that trombone out, I think we need that. - [Voiceover] That's coming together nicely, I think. - [Voiceover] I'm liking it. - Okay, well, we've got that part down. We're well on our way to adding some more lyrics, and we got that melody now going on, so, yeah, I think we're in good shape right now. So, maybe next we'll start working on some lyrics or maybe arranging the song a little bit more.