Join Garrick Chow for an in-depth discussion in this video Connect a keyboard controller, part of GarageBand Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Now let's take a look…at how to connect a MIDI keyboard to your Mac…for use in GarageBand.…The first step, of course, is figuring out…which one to buy.…If you only planning on using a MIDI keyboard…to play music with GarageBand,…you can buy just about any keyboard on the market today.…The only decisions you really have to make…are how many keys you want the keyboard to have…and whether you want the keyboard to be a synthesizer.…Calling a keyboard a synthesizer simply means…that they keyboard is capable of producing its own sounds…without being hooked up to a computer or MIDI device.…The synthesizer has its own bank of sounds to play…and either speakers or an audio output jack…through which to play the sounds.…
Keyboards that can't produce sounds on their own…and are just used to trigger samples…and programs, like GarageBand, are called controllers.…Actually GarageBand itself can be referred to…as a synthesizer because it has built in sounds.…Now, professional level MIDI capable software…you might have heard of such as REAPER, Digital Performer,…
- Creating a new project
- Adding tracks
- Working with loops
- Recording software instrument tracks
- Getting real sounds into your Mac
- Recording and compositing multiple tracks
- Arranging, editing, and mixing your project
- Sharing your music with others
Skill Level Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Recordingwith Larry Crane2h 21m Intermediate
Learning Songwriting: GarageBandwith Garrick Chow1h 36m Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Loops and Drummer
3. Working with Software Instruments
4. Working with Real Instruments
5. Arranging, Editing, and Mixing Your Project
6. Exporting, Sharing, and Archiving Your Project
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.