In this video, Jesse Freeman teaches you how to work with the new text component that’s part of Unity 5’s UI system. You’ll learn how to create a font, convert it into an editable font, create a text instance and add it to the scene. Learning how to polish a Unity 5 game is an import skills for building a 2D game.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Now everything in our game…is finally up and running.…We have our scores, we have our players,…we actually have a full game, but something is missing.…For me, the game just looks a little bit flat.…Now a lot of the times I like adding…subtle little lighting effects to give the game…a little bit more atmosphere,…and while it's possible to use real lighting…inside of Unity, I want to show you…a neat trick that's actually gonna let us…fake lighting and we'll still take advantage…of some of the unique features…that the new UI system provides us.…
To get started, let's go into our Artwork folder…and go into textures.…Here you'll see we have a lighting effect texture.…Now, this is a texture that's designed…to stretch across the entire screen,…and it's transparent in the middle,…with a gradient going out to black.…Now it's very subtle, and it's designed…to give us a vignette effect across the artwork.…Let's configure this so that it's ready…for us to use in the game.…Here, we're gonna set the Pixels to Units to 1.…
Start watching to learn how to convert artwork into sprites, create repeating background textures with Unity's TexturePacker, and build reusable game objects such as players, obstacles, and enemies. Jesse also covers the basics of object pooling, working with custom UI components, and multiplatform publishing.
- Importing artwork
- Editing sprites
- Creating repeating background textures
- Building reusable obstacles
- Recycling game objects
- Building an object pool
- Creating the player
- Starting and ending the game
- Displaying and saving the score
- Adding menus and text
- Publishing a Unity game in different formats
Skill Level Beginner
Advanced Unity 3D Game Programmingwith Michael House3h 45m Advanced
Unity 5 2D: Optimizing Graphicswith Jesse Freeman28m 2s Intermediate
1. Working with Sprites
2. Creating Repeating Textures
3. Creating Obstacles
4. Object Pooling
5. Creating the Player
6. Setting Up the Game
7. Polishing the Game
8. Creating More Obstacles
Publish to different formats5m 42s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.