Join Tammy Coron for an in-depth discussion in this video An overview of GameplayKit, part of Programming iOS 9 and GamePlayKit.
- View Offline
- As a game developer, I was excited when Apple announced GameplayKit. But what is GameplayKit and why should you care? GameplayKit helps developers design and create modular, scalable game architecture along with game play mechanics. The truly great thing about GameplayKit is that it works with both iOS 9 and OS X, but it's important to understand GameplayKit is not a replacement for high-level game engines like SpriteKit and SceneKit. Unlike these game engines, GameplayKit is simply a collection of tools and technologies that are available to assist you with creating your game, specifically, your game's mechanics.
But that doesn't mean you can't use GameplayKit with other technologies. In fact, GameplayKit works with SpriteKit, SceneKit, and other third-party engines that use Metal or OpenGLES. You can even use GameplayKit with UIKit in iOS and AppKit in OS X. As you learn more about GameplayKit, you'll begin to understand just how powerful this new framework is, and how much you, and your games can benefit from using it.
- What is GameplayKit?
- Working with random sources and distributions
- Adding randomization to games
- Working with entities and components
- Defining and creating states and behaviors
- Designing a game for AI
- Adding pathfinding to avoid obstacles
- Using the agent system to manage player movement
- Creating a simple rules system