Create a room for your level and set the physics for it. Review how coordinates are setup in Game Maker rooms
- [Instructor] I've finished importing…the sprites and backgrounds for our game.…If you haven't done that already,…You'll want to open up the GameMaker project…for this video.…Every game that we create needs levels.…And we set up levels in GameMaker…by creating a room.…So let's create a room,…and get it set up using the physics engine.…Right click on Rooms,…say create room,…and that'll open up our room properties dialog box.…If I scroll the mouse wheel out,…we can zoom out and see the entire room.…It's currently 1024 by 768 pixels.…
So, lets adjust that…for something that makes more sense…with a runner game.…Let's set the width to something really long,…like 9600.…And the height to something…that gives us some room to jump around in.…Like 2000.…If I zoom out, you can see…we have a nice, long,…rectangular room now.…I'll rename it to rm_01…since it's our first level.…And then lets go and enable physics.…I'll click on the physics tab.…And check the box "Room is Physics World".…Now lets set our physics properties.…
We'll leave the X gravity at 0.…
- Setting up basic game components
- Creating the player object
- Using Finite State Machines
- Making the player duck
- Creating physics fixtures in code
- Creating physics obstacles
- Box2D liquid physics
- Creating particles that behave like water
- Creating a floating blocks obstacle
- Creating a swinging chain obstacle and a rope bridge
- Adding the finishing touches
Skill Level Beginner
1. Set Up Basic Game Components
2. The Player Object
3. Create Physics Obstacles
4. Liquid Physics
5. Decorate the Level
6. Finishing Touches
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.