Learn about the basics of game design. Discover practical strategies for starting a career in game design, drafting your game ideas, and fleshing out those concepts into designs that a team can implement.
- Hi everyone, welcome to Foundations of Game Design. I'm Brenda Romero. In this course, we'll look at the role of the game designer in the industry and we'll take a look at the different types of game designers. We'll explore how games are made, from game mechanics to core loops to design docs, and of course, we're going to take a look at entering the game industry as an indie or within a game company. How are we going to start? Well, we'll break down the role of the game designer into its key parts. We'll learn about systems and begin by creating some simple game design ideas.
Then, I'll show you how to use what we've learned about game design and game systems to craft compelling game design concepts. Next, we'll explore how these concepts can be flushed out into full designs that a team can implement. As a lifelong game designer, I am super excited to share this field with you. If you've ever dreamed of making games for a living, or just for fun, this is absolutely the course for you. Now let's get started with Foundations of Game Design.
- The role of the game designer
- Generating ideas for games
- The core of a game
- Defining the core loop of a game
- Mechanics, dynamics, and systems in game design