Join Brenda Romero for an in-depth discussion in this video Generating ideas for games, part of Game Design Foundations: 1 Ideas, Core Loops, and Goals.
- [Tutor] How do you come up with ideas for games?…It's a question game designers are often asked.…The great news is that ideas for games are all around us,…you can make games about nearly any topic…and with some quick research, you'll find out…just how wide the scope of games can be,…games have been made about space travel…and military battles, of course,…but games have also been made about world peace,…lost loves and the rise of civilization,…games have even been made to encourage people…to keep taking medication and to get healthy,…just as you can turn any idea…into a movie, a book, a song or a painting,…you can turn any idea into a game too.…
So let's take a look at the process of coming up with ideas,…there are several places to start.…Designers often create games…around things that interest them,…now it makes sense, you'll be spending months…and sometimes years on a game, so whatever it is,…it better be something that interests you a lot.…For this example, I'm going to pick an interest of mine,…prohibition era Chicago,…
- The role of the game designer
- Generating ideas for games
- The core of a game
- Defining the core loop of a game
- Mechanics, dynamics, and systems in game design