There are times when you don't have listed dimensions for a part and need to get your own measurement. A digital caliper is a must-have tool for 3D modeling.
- [Instructor] There are times when you get your part…from your drawer, and you have no idea where it came from…or where to begin to look…to find the measurements or specification sheets.…In these cases, a digital caliper becomes your best friend…when needing precise dimensions.…They are simple to operate.…To get your measurements, you simply turn the thumb wheel…which opens and closes the jaws.…There's a button to toggle…between inches, fractions, and millimeters.…However, before you start taking your measurements,…you want to make sure to zero the unit…by closing the jaws all the way,…and pressing the zero button.…
For our next design, the slide switch,…I use my digital calipers to obtain exact measurements,…and then transfer these to a basic sketch on a notepad.…I recommend you do the same thing…because there's no guarantee that the slide switch…you end up using will be the same measurements…as the one I'm using.…If you don't have your own slide switch yet,…then you can just use my measurements.…
- Getting started with Fusion 360
- Sketching and extruding
- Editing sketches and features
- Using calipers to get precise measurements
- Designing according constraints
- Modifying dimensions
- Changing inches to millimeters
- Modifying features
- Attaching and calibrating a canvas
- Sketching by referencing a canvas
- Parallel constraints
- Combining bodies and separating bodies
Skill Level Beginner
Fusion 360 Product Design: Lightingwith Carl Frischmuth5h 54m Intermediate
Design for Additive Manufacturing: FDMwith Kacie Hultgren1h 47m Intermediate
Fusion 360: 3D Printed Product Enclosurewith Vladimir Mariano1h 52m Intermediate
2. Design Basics
3. Designing Accurate Parts
4. Design by Referencing Drawings
5. Design by Attaching Canvas
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.