Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing a head, part of Learning Adobe Fuse CC.
- [Voiceover] This is the pane you see when you open up Fuse for the first time. You've got a range of heads to choose from and the way Fuse works is that you build your figure part by part Frankenstein style. You can see here you've got a range of seven female heads of different shapes, different ethnicities, and if you scroll down you've also got a range of male heads including this brute and a male fit zombie, I'm not sure what an unfit zombie would look like and you've got a couple of cartoon characters here as well.
To choose one you simply click on it. Let's choose this female figure here and there it is with the texture loaded. To pan around it simply click away from it and as you drag you'll rotate the head around. To move it side to side hold the Command key on a Mac or use the right mouse button on a PC and now you can pan it sideways or you can also hold the Shift key and drag to zoom in and out.
As we zoom in you can see it's not simply enlarging it but it's changing the focal length of the camera, you can see how those ears are now disappearing around the back of the head. It's actually quite a detailed figure, there's a good amount of texture in the face here and in the lips and especially in the eyes, that all important area. If you roll over the head, you'll see that various areas highlight and we'll look at that next.
On the right hand side here you can see how the heads have all disappeared and they've been replaced by the torsos. This is the next stage in the construction process. If you want to change the head you can always click on the head section, it will pop back into view, and you can change it for any head that you want. And the changes you've made to the head will be forgotten as you put the new head in place. And some of them are really quite impressive.
For now though let's go back to our female head it appears the texture has mapped on it and now we're ready to go on to the next stage.
- Choosing and customizing the character's head
- Choosing a torso, legs, and arms
- Adding clothing, hair, glasses, and hats
- Posing the model in Mixamo
- Placing and animating the model in Photoshop