Join Josh Zweig for an in-depth discussion in this video Signing up for FreshBooks, part of FreshBooks Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Let's get started by opening a FreshBooks account. The first thing you need to do is to go to the FreshBooks homepage, then enter your company name and email address. Next, click on Try it Free for 30 Days. While this could change down the road, for now all new sign-ups are free for the first 30 days so click on the button to get going. In the next screen, enter your first and last name then pick a username and password for your FreshBooks account. If you like, feel free to enter where you heard about FreshBooks.
When you've completed the fields, click on next. In the next screen you'll be prompted for some more information about your business. You can either fill them out by selecting your industry from the drop-down menu, whether your business is a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or another. How long you've been up and running for. How you do your accounting. But if you don't know the answers to those questions, or don't feel like filling them out now, not a problem, you can click on Skip This. That was quick. We're now signed up for FreshBooks and ready to get going.
To ensure your data is secure, make sure you always log out of FreshBooks when you're finished using it by clicking on the log out button on the top right hand corner of the screen. That might seem obvious, but because you might be entering sensitive information into your FreshBooks account, it's a good idea to get into the habit of doing that. To log back into your account, go to your FreshBooks login page. It's usually started by your company name followed by a dot then FreshBooks.com To log back into your account, enter your username and password that you signed up with.
While you can continue to explore FreshBooks in a free trial for 30 days, you may want to purchase a plan if you're going to use FreshBooks or continue to use it in your business. Let's check out the pricing and packages. To get the pricing, under the Home main tab click on the Pricing and Upgrade sub tab. On the Pricing and Upgrade screen, you'll see three different fixed price plans. Note that the pricing is subject to change, but this will give you an idea of what kind of plan might be right for you. If you have a lot of clients, you may want to pick a plan that allows you to set up unlimited contacts.
If you have a lot of staff members that you want to invite to FreshBooks, make sure you pick a plan that accounts for all your staff and allows for time tracking across teams. Note that certain features such as bank fees, or reoccurring invoicing may not be available in the free trail version, so for this course we're going to be using the highest level plan, the Mighty Oak plan. Now that our account is set up, let's take a tour of the dashboard.
Visit FreshBooks.com to sign up for a free 30-day trial and use your new account to follow along with Josh.
- Signing up for FreshBooks
- Accepting credit cards
- Adding customers and contractors to FreshBooks
- Logging time to projects and tasks
- Creating estimates and invoices
- Tracking receivables
- Tracking expenses