Connecting the Flask app to Postgres using Flask-SQLAlchemy.
- [Instructor] In the previous video,…we created a Users table in the database.…Next, we need to connect the Flask app…to this database so that it can…read and write information to it.…But, it turns out that Flask doesn't come with…any of this functionality off the shelf.…It only comes with a small set of functions, like…render_template and url_for.…This is one reason why Flask is easier…to learn than other web frameworks.…There's just not as much stuff.…Instead of packing in extra functionality…like connecting to a database,…Flask lets you add it on as needed using extensions.…
Here's a list of Flask extensions.…An extension is a package that adds…a specific functionality to a Flask app.…And looking through this list,…there are extensions for adding in…functionality for web forms,…sending email,…many other common tasks in web application development.…To add functionality to communicate with a database,…we'll use the Flask-SQLAlchemy extension.…To use this extension, first get back…into the app's isolated Python development environment.…
The need for talented developers is greater than ever before. A basic grounding in a framework as simple, powerful, and easy-to-learn as Flask—a Python micro framework—can help launch your programming career. Get a basic grounding in the fundamental concepts of web development, as well as the hands-on experience required to successfully build web apps with Flask, in this course with Packt trainer Lalith Polepeddi.
It starts with turning your computer into a modern development machine. Then learn everything you need to know about Flask: models, views, controllers, web templates, forms, validation, and API interactions. Lalith shows how to apply these concepts and develop a powerful database-backed Flask app, including a full authentication system. Finally, Lalith shows how to extend the app's functionality by integrating it with third-party APIs. When you finish this course, you will be fully equipped to build your very own custom web apps with Flash.
- Setting up your development environment
- Creating a homepage
- Building templates
- Routing with Flask
- Deploying to Heroku
- Storing data
- Creating and rendering forms
- Validating form data
- Creating a user authentication system for login and logout
- Implementing location-based app features
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting Up the Environment
2. Getting Started
3. Storing Data
4. Signing Up
5. Logging In and Logging Out
6. Authorization and User Roles
7. Bookmarking Places
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.