Building Flash Games with Starling
Join Lee Brimelow in this project-style course that teaches how to build a Flash-based game with Flash Builder 4.6, Flash Player 11, and the Starling framework. Starling, a pure ActionScript 3.0 library for advanced graphics, extends Flash Player 11's support for the modern GPU (graphic processing unit) to enable visual presentations and games in the browser or as a mobile app.
Starting with installation and configuration of Starling and creation of a Flash Builder project, the course shows how to prepare and import graphical assets, create MovieClip classes from sprite sheets, manage various gaming objects, detect collisions, and add both particle and sound effects. The finished game can be deployed to any browser or mobile device that integrates Flash Player 11, which was released in September 2011.
- Downloading and installing Starling and Flash Builder
- Creating the project
- Creating the main game class, static assets class, and other classes
- Building the state machine
- Creating a static assets class
- Adding images
- Creating sprite sheets with Texture Packer
- Creating and importing bitmap fonts
- Detecting collisions
- Adding particle effects
- Adding sound effects
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Lee Brimelow and welcome to Building Flash Games with Starling. In this course, I'm gonna show you how to leverage the open source Starling framework to create games that fully tap into the power of the GPU. I'll cover all of the major features of the framework including how to incorporate different assets like sprite sheets and sound effects. How to create a simple game framework that can serve as the basis for your own games. How to add beautiful particle effects and also how to optimize your games so that they'll run great even on mobile devices.
After going through this course, you'll have all the information you need to create your own high performance flash games using the Starling framework.
ActionScript 3.0 Projects: Game Development466,888 Views
Building a Mobile App with Feathers and Starling39,998 Views
ActionScript 3.0 in Flash CS4 Professional for Designers1,092,029 Views
Flash Professional CS5: Code Snippets and Templates in Depth141,270 Views
Flash CS4 Professional: Object-Oriented Programming591,166 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,676,368 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery301,789 Views
iOS 8 App Development with Swift 1 Essential Training1,023,003 Views
Edge Animate Essential Training630,358 Views
PHP with MySQL Essential Training4,259,922 Views