Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding static properties and methods, part of Flash CS4 Professional: Object-Oriented Programming .
In this movie we're going to look at something called static properties and…static methods. Static properties and methods are attached to a class rather…than attached to an instance of a class. To understand the need for static…properties and methods, take a look at the TV on the stage here. It's at the…top left of the stage. What if I wanted to align it to the center of the stage?…Now I could easily write that code in the Timeline and I don't necessarily need…to create a custom class for it, except for that's kind of a common task in…ActionScript is aligning the object to the center of the stage. So you want to…write code that's reusable but at the same time you don't want to have to…create a new instance of a class every time you want to align an object to…the center of the stage. This is where static properties and methods come into play.…
What we're going to do is create a static method that will align this object to…the center of the stage. Before we do that, we'll take a look at how static…
- Loading external text, images, and XML files
- Creating essential properties for a View class
- Defining a Model class
- Building and implementing interfaces and designs
- Debugging projects
- Building applications with Controller-class buttons
Skill Level Intermediate
1. ActionScript 3.0 Essentials
2. Advanced ActionScript Techniques
3. Object-Oriented Programming Fundamentals
4. The Model View Controller Design Pattern
5. Building a Model Class
6. Building a View Class
7. Building a Controller Class
8. Improving and Debugging the Application
9. Moving Forward
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.