Join Todd Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video Loading external text, part of Flash CS4 Professional: Object-Oriented Programming .
Often when you are working with text fields in Flash, you want to use text…from an external text file or an external XML file. In this movie, we will look…at loading text in from an external file and putting that text in a text field…on the stage.…On the stage here, I have a text field. It's a dynamic text field. It has an…instance name of my_txt. In the same folder as this FLA file, I have a plain…text file called External.txt. We will load that text into this text field.…Let's select the first keyframe of the Actions layer and open up the Actions…panel, and there are a few steps that you need to know when loading an external file.…
So we are going to create some variables here. So let's create a variable…called req, data type it to URLRequest. URL is all caps and Request is a capital R.…URLRequest class represents the URL of a file. So whenever you are going to…work with an external file in ActionScript 3.0, you are going to use a…URLRequest to represent that file. So we are going to set this equal to a new…
- Loading external text, images, and XML files
- Creating essential properties for a View class
- Defining a Model class
- Building and implementing interfaces and designs
- Debugging projects
- Building applications with Controller-class buttons
Skill Level Intermediate
1. ActionScript 3.0 Essentials
2. Advanced ActionScript Techniques
3. Object-Oriented Programming Fundamentals
4. The Model View Controller Design Pattern
5. Building a Model Class
6. Building a View Class
7. Building a Controller Class
8. Improving and Debugging the Application
9. Moving Forward
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.