Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Wrapping functionality in new components, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
One of the characteristics of an application that's built in Flash Catalyst is…that all of the code is placed in a single MXML file typically, rather than being…segmented down into components.…So one of your tasks as a developer might be to take some of the behavior that's…been defined by the designer and put it into components.…I am working in a version of the application called Components which you can…import from Components.fxp in the 05_ Catalyst directory of the exercise files.…Let's take a look at the working applications so far.…
It's using real complex data that I previously put into the application.…That's brought in from an XML file.…When the user selects an item from drop- down list and clicks Find, this group is…sliding in from the bottom using a transition, but all of the presentation…currently is static.…I want to replace this text with some bindings.…But as soon as you start adding bindings, you will start making the application…so it won't work in Catalyst.…You want to take anything that's at all dynamic and put it into MXML components.…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.