Join Drew Falkman for an in-depth discussion in this video Why Flex and PHP?, part of Creating Data-Driven Applications with Flex 4.5 and PHP.
No development environment is perfect in and of itself.…PHP is a great tool for generating HTML pages, talking to databases, and doing…another web-application-based processes, but when it comes to rich user…interfaces, other technologies are needed.…On the other hand, Flex is an intuitive rapid application development…environment for building rich user interfaces, but it lacks the ability to talk to…databases directly and to perform other such processes.…Together, PHP and Flex can be a solid foundation for robust…application development.…At this point, PHP has achieved big-player status.…
It's open source and at version 5.3 and counting, it's becoming a very mature…and intuitive language to work with.…It has built-in support for databases, for handling emails, for providing…authentication, and all kinds of other services.…Because it's open source and because there are such a large community of…developers, there are tons of pre-built tools available and there is a giant…code base for us to work from.…
- Understanding session management
- Accessing RESTful services
- Customizing service calls by passing parameters
- Handling raw XML and JSON data
- Exposing a PHP class as a Flex service
- Generating PHP services with Flash Builder
- Debugging in Flash Builder and Zend Studio
- Exchanging data from PHP to Flex and back
- Building a Master-Detail page
- Implementing pagination
- Creating a synchronized database in AIR
- Using server-side session data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. About Flex Data Services and PHP
Why Flex and PHP?2m 44s
2. Installation and Setup
3. Flex Service Basics and HTTPService
4. Using AMF for Remote Service Calls
5. Introduction to Flash Builder 4.5 for PHP
6. Using Flash Builder for PHP Tools
7. Advanced Topics: AIR, Channels, and More
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.