Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Spark formatters, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
In a previous video I described how to create custom item renderer for the new…Spark version of the DataGrid and I described a simple way of formatting a…price value by pre-pending a dollar sign.…But there's a better way using the new Spark version of the CurrencyFormatter component.…All of the formatter components have been rebuilt in the Flex 4.5 SDK to match…the Spark architecture.…I'm working in a new version of the project named formatters, which you can…import from the 03_Spark folder of the exercise files.…
In this version of the GridItemRenderer I'm going to remove the dollar sign…from the price and then after the layout, I'll create a new Declarations…section and within the declarations I'll create an instance of the CurrencyFormatter class.…I'll give it an id of formatter and then in the binding expression for the price…value I'll wrap that value inside the format function.…In this aspect the use of the new Spark formatters is the same as the old MX versions.…
So I'll refer to formatter.format and I'll wrap data.price in that value.…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.