Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Spark DataGrid, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
The Flex 4.5 SDK includes many new components that have been rewritten in the…Spark component architecture.…One of the most popular of these components is the DataGrid.…I will demonstrate this using a Flash Builder project from the exercise files.…I'll import the project from the folder 03-spark and the name of the file…is SparkDataGrid.fxp.…After importing the project, I'll open up the main application file from the…default package of the source folder.…
The name of the file is Main.mxml.…Then I'll run the application in the browser.…Notice in this version of the application the Find button is there, but…disabled and there is no drop- down list displaying the tour data.…Instead I'll use a Spark DataGrid for that.…I'll close the browser and return to the application and I'll look at it in Design view.…Then to create my DataGrid, I'll scroll down into Components view in the lower…left looking in the Controls list and I'll locate the DataGrid and…drag-and-drop an instance of the DataGrid into the application, laying it on…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.