Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting Flash Builder as a default editor, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
Flash Builder 4.5 has a new feature that allows you to easily associate…ActionScript and MXML files with its editor.…So that when you double-click these files from Finder on Mac or Windows Explorer…on Windows they open automatically in Flash Builder.…To demonstrate this I've associated my ActionScript files and the MXML files…with a free text editor called TextWrangler.…You can get TextWrangler from the Mac app store if you're working on Mac and if…you're working on Windows you might have associated these files with some other…editor, such as Notepad.…
I'll show you what the current behavior is by double-clicking the AS file…FunctionLibrary.as in the 01_gettingstarted folder.…You'll see that it opens up in TextWrangler and TextWrangler does a pretty good…job of color coding, but it doesn't have all of the functionality for debugging…that Flash Builder does.…Now I'll close TextWrangler and double- click the MXML file, MyFlexApp.mxml, and…once again you'll see that it has a certain amount of color coding capability,…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.