Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Replacing design-time data with real data, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
When a designer gives you a project that they have been working on Flash Catalyst, …one of the first things you will want to do is replace any sample…data that they modeled in Flash Catalyst with complex real data that will be…used in your application.…For this exercise I'm using an application called RealData, which you can import…from the exercise files from the folder 05_catalyst.…The first thing I'm going to do is add a XML file to the project.…I'll go to my Exercise Files folder to the 05_catalyst folder and from there to…VacationFinder and I'll find a folder there called assets.…
It contains two subfolders named data and images.…I'll copy the assets folder to the clipboard.…I'll switch back to Flash Builder then I'll right-click on the Source folder of…the project and I'll paste.…When I see this prompt that says that the assets folder exists, I'll say yes, I…want to override it.…I'm not really overriding it.…I'm just merging the contents of the folder I just copied with the existing content.…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.