Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video New Design mode management features, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
Flash Builder 4.5 adds new features to manage Design mode, a mode of Flash…Builder that not all developers use but that can be useful for certain tasks.…For this exercise, I'll import an existing Flash Builder project from the…Exercise Files, from 02_flashbuilder folder.…I'll locate and import the file DesignMode.fxp.…Then I'll open the application, the src folder, the default package, and I'll…double-click to open the file Main.mxml.…
You might notice that in Flash Builder 4.5 whenever you open an MXML file it…always opens in the MXML Editor, in Source mode rather than in Design mode.…In the past it would open in whatever mode was used last, whether or not you…wanted to use Design mode, and this could slow down your workflow.…Flash Builder 4.5 has a new preference that can manage this behavior.…I'll go to the Preferences dialog, to the category Flash Builder > Editors >…Design mode and show that there's a new option labeled Always open MXML files in code editor.…
Now if I uncheck this option, I'll go back to the old behavior and if I've used…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.