Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Laying out forms with the new Spark Form component, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
The Flex 4.5 SDK includes a new version of the form layout control.…The form control is used to layout data entry forms, placing labels in the left…column and controls in the right column.…For this exercise I'm using a version of the application that you can import…from the Exercise Files.…The name of the project FXP file is Forms.fxp and you'll find it in the 03_spark folder.…After importing the project I'll see that this version of the application does…not have a drop-down list or a button yet. Instead it has a BorderContainer that…has a little bit of transparency so that I can see the photo in the background.…
I'll add a form to the BorderContainer.…I'll go to the Components view and scroll down to the Layout section and drag in a form.…Notice that the drag-and-drop behavior, when you're dealing with Containers, is…a little bit improved in Design mode since Flash Builder 4.…You can now very clearly see where you're dropping objects.…I'm placing the form inside the BorderContainer.…When you insert a form, just as in Flash Builder 4, you're prompted for the…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.