Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Importing and examining a Flash Catalyst project, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
Flash Builder 4.5 has new capabilities that allow integration with projects that…come from Flash Catalyst CS5.5.…Flash Catalyst is used by visual designers to prototype applications that can…then be handed off to Flex developers. I'm working with an application…called FromDesigner which you can import from the exercise files in a file…called FromDesigner.fxp.…This particular FXP file was created in Flash Catalyst and it has some…characteristics that make it a little bit different from an FXP file that would…be exported from Flash Builder.…
This is a working prototype meaning that it has behaviors, transitions, and a…little bit of data already.…Notice that the current visual design has a wireframe style, meaning that it…represents objects as rectangles and simple fonts and doesn't represent the…final design of the application, but it does effectively show where objects…will lie on the screen.…In Flash Catalyst, I can run the project by selecting File > Run Project.…Flash Catalyst will build the entire project and then launch it in a web browser.…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.