Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Implementing and overriding super class methods, part of Flash Builder 4.5 and Flex 4.5 New Features.
Another new coding technique provided by Flash Builder 4.5 allows you to…quickly create override methods. That is, you can detect which methods are…implemented on a super class or super component and create new versions of…those methods in the current component.…I'll demonstrator this using a new project which I'll name Overrides.…I'll create the project and then with the main application file open, I'll go to…the Flash Builder menu and choose Source > Override/Implement Methods.…
The application file is a subclass of the Application class that's the part…of the Flex framework.…In this dialog box I see all of the properties and methods that are implemented…by the Flex framework, which I can override.…Now to demonstrate this I'm just going to override one method, createChildren.…The createChildren method is called automatically by the Flex framework as the…application or visual component starts up.…It's where the application would implement the creation of components that are…described in MXML code, but there are times when you want to do this work in…
Recommended prerequisite: Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Essential Training.
- Coding with Quick Assist
- Using code completion on metadata tags and states
- Using new Design mode configuration and view capabilities
- Using the Spark versions of the DataGrid, Form, and Image components
- Creating a Flex project for Android applications
- Handling navigation in a view-based mobile application
- Using the Flash Catalyst CS5.5/Flash Builder 4.5 workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Is Flash Builder compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)?
Q: I'm using the most recent versions of Flash Builder and Flex. The projects provided in this course's exercise files don't run correctly. How do I get the code working?
A: The course's exercise files were built for the original release of Flash Builder and Flex 4.5. There are two potential issues: the version of the Flex SDK linked into each project and the version of Flash Player you have installed on your system.
For each project, follow these steps after importing it into Flash Builder:
- In the Package Explorer view, right-click on the project name and choose Properties.
- Click Flex Compiler.
- Change the Flex SDK Version to Use default SDK.
- Click OK.
- The project should now compile correctly.
- Open Windows Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac).
- Navigate to the Flash Player installation folder.
- Open the player subfolder.
- Open the subfolder for your operating system (Mac or Windows).
- Open the version subfolder.
- If running on Mac, open the DMG file and install the Flash Player application.
- If running on Windows, run the Flash Player installer executable for whichever browser you use for previewing Flex applications.