Companies want the "magic" metrics. They want to know what the best companies measure. This video explains why this isn't good.
- Managers want to succeed.…They want to make good decisions…and they want to do it quickly.…That's why one of the most common…questions I'm asked is, "What are the most…important metrics in business?"…It's a question that drives me crazy.…One of the best answers I've ever heard…to this question was, "Cricket, baseball and hockey."…I was probably as confused as you are right now.…Skeptical but curious, I had to ask for an explanation.…
The guy said to me, "Cricket, baseball and hockey.…They're effectively all stick and ball sports.…Now tell me, would you use the same set…of statistics to measure all…of the players in all three sports?"…Of course not.…Why?…Because they're all playing different games.…While every team wants to win,…winning is achieved in completely different ways…in each of these three sports.…
That's why each sport has its own set…of statistics to measure the quality of the players.…The same thing holds in business.…Every industry is different.…Every company is different.…It doesn't make sense to measure…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Metrics and human behavior
- Common corporate errors in measuring
- Developing a good metric
- Using the performance measurement tune-up
- Avoiding redundancy
- Using dashboards, infographics, and other data visualization tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Balanced Scorecard and Key Performance Indicatorswith Jim Stice1h 17m Intermediate
1. How and Why We Measure
2. Errors and Challenges in Measuring
3. Developing a Good Metric
4. A System of Metrics
5. Performance Measurement Tune-Up
6. Above and Beyond
Next steps1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.