A good metric must be attainable, easy to understand, and cheater-proof.
- [Instructor] A good metric provides feedback,…but it also helps drive people to make good decisions.…It can guide employees toward expected behaviors.…The good metric might even be able to predict…what will happen next.…But it can only do good things if the metric…is tied to a desired strategy.…Consider this generic strategy for an online retailer.…They want to provide customers convenience, security,…reliability, and value.…
If customers, managers or investors demand proof,…do you have metrics to demonstrate your competence…in each area?…Metrics that are tied to your strategy…are often easier to manage.…They provide quick and useful answers,…and for your employees and managers,…they point directly to the desired behaviors.…Consider online security.…If you have metrics that measure incidents of fraud…with a product, incidents of fraud in payment,…incidents of customer information breaches,…you've now directed the security team…to focus on preventing these types of incidents.…
Low incidence numbers signal favorable outcomes.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Metrics and human behavior
- Common corporate errors in measuring
- Developing a good metric
- Using the performance measurement tune-up
- Avoiding redundancy
- Using dashboards, infographics, and other data visualization tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Balanced Scorecard and Key Performance Indicatorswith Jim Stice1h 17m Intermediate
1. How and Why We Measure
2. Errors and Challenges in Measuring
3. Developing a Good Metric
4. A System of Metrics
5. Performance Measurement Tune-Up
6. Above and Beyond
Next steps1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.