A good metric must be measurable, easy, and economical to capture and store.
- Companies have all sorts of questions.…Who's the best employee?…Which segments of the industry are likely to grow?…Which cars are the most reliable?…In each of these cases, a company probably…uses a metric or multiple metrics…to try and answer the question.…The bigger question is:…how do we develop a metric?…Perhaps two of the most basic things…to consider in developing a metric are,…is the metric measurable?…And, if it is measurable,…how would the data be gathered?…In some cases, these two things are easy.…
Let's take a simple example.…Let's try and figure out, who is our fastest runner?…Our metric will be the person's speed…in a 50 meter sprint.…Is this measurable?…It is, simple, easy, no problem, right?…But, let's consider, how would the time be tracked?…Another human with a stopwatch?…When and where will the reading be taken?…What happens if there's an error in measurement?…Does the runner get one or more attempts?…Does the runner's fastest, slowest, average,…or median attempt get recorded?…How many times per year is this metric tracked…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Metrics and human behavior
- Common corporate errors in measuring
- Developing a good metric
- Using the performance measurement tune-up
- Avoiding redundancy
- Using dashboards, infographics, and other data visualization tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Balanced Scorecard and Key Performance Indicatorswith Jim Stice1h 17m Intermediate
1. How and Why We Measure
2. Errors and Challenges in Measuring
3. Developing a Good Metric
4. A System of Metrics
5. Performance Measurement Tune-Up
6. Above and Beyond
Next steps1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.