Setting metrics that are too high or unachievable can have unintended consequences. In this video, learn how building attainable metrics helps reinforce goals.
- A company has a goal of high sales.…So what do they do?…They establish a monthly sales goal as a metric.…Hit the goal, you get a bonus.…You got a goal, you have a metric…that points right at that goal,…we seem to have alignment.…But, what if the sales goal is too hard to hit?…Let's say the sales goal is 250,000 dollars in sales.…You get to the 20th of the month,…and you're still short 150,000 dollars.…
You're probably not going to make it.…What are your options?…Try harder.…Admirable, but probably not the best…long-term strategy if you want bonus money.…Give up.…A 10 day vacation sounds nice but,…the boss may get suspicious and it…doesn't exactly help build the relationships…that might get you the next month's bonus.…How about something between?…Try to get sales, but delay processing them…until the first of next month.…
Lose the paperwork.…Call them back on Monday instead of today.…This month may be gone, so let's get a jump start…on next month.…This might be a good strategy for you,…but is it what the company wants?…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Metrics and human behavior
- Common corporate errors in measuring
- Developing a good metric
- Using the performance measurement tune-up
- Avoiding redundancy
- Using dashboards, infographics, and other data visualization tools
Skill Level Intermediate
Balanced Scorecard and Key Performance Indicatorswith Jim Stice1h 17m Intermediate
1. How and Why We Measure
2. Errors and Challenges in Measuring
3. Developing a Good Metric
4. A System of Metrics
5. Performance Measurement Tune-Up
6. Above and Beyond
Next steps1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.