Join Rick Schmunk for an in-depth discussion in this video Note entry and editing using a mouse, part of Finale 2012 Essential Training.
The first step in entering music into a score is to add the notes.…One simple way to add notes is to use the computer mouse.…Let's set up a new score and try it out.…So let's go up to the File menu, and let's choose New > Document From Template, and…let's go into the General Templates folder, and let's choose Lead Sheet…(Handwritten), we'll move that over so you can see that, and I'll click Open.…In the Setup Wizard, let's add the information. So we are going to enter Danny…Boy, so the title of this is Oh, Danny Boy, and Composer, this is Irish…Traditional, and the Lyricist is somebody by the name of Fred Weatherly.…
And this is a public domain, so I am going to take out that Copyright notice.…Click the Next button, and let's add the Score Settings.…So we are in 4/4, and we are in the key of F, so I will click one down to add the…flat, and then let's go ahead and add an initial Tempo marking.…So we will type in Ballad, and we will make the Tempo quarter note equals about 70.…Now, there is a Pickup Measure, so I'll go ahead and click that, and there are three eigth notes,…
- Setting up the hardware and software
- Creating a Finale score document
- Importing files
- Viewing and navigating documents
- Entering and editing notes with the mouse, keyboard, and real or virtual instruments
- Understanding measuring basics and music spacing
- Adding lyrics
- Notating music on a grand staff
- Notating choral music with layers
- Notating for guitar, including tablature and Smart Shapes
- Recording in real time
- Adding expressions and articulations
- Formatting scores
- Printing scores
- Exporting documents
Skill Level Beginner
Audio for Film and Video with Pro Toolswith Scott Hirsch5h 9m Intermediate
Music Editing for TV and Film in Pro Toolswith Skye Lewin3h 30m Intermediate
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
1. Hardware and Software Setup
2. Creating a Finale Document/Score
3. Navigating and Viewing Documents
4. Creating Lead Sheets and Other Simple Documents
5. Notating Music on a Grand Staff
6. Notating Choral and Other Polyphonic Music
7. Recording Real-Time Notation
8. Working with Scores
9. Working with Scores, Part 2 (Medium Score with Rhythm Section)
10. Advanced Formatting
11. Notating Music for Guitar: Tab, Fretboards, and Smart Shapes
12. Exporting Document Regions or Pages as Graphic Files
What's next?1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.