Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Audio Post Workflow with Final Cut Pro X v10.1.x & Pro Tools.
- Before we begin, I want to point out a few important items about the Final Cut Pro 10 Pro Tools workflow. With the release of Final Cut Pro 10, for better or for worse, Apple removed the longstanding convention of using a file format called OMF, or Open Media Framework to export audio information to Pro Tools and other programs. Now Apple uses XML, or Extensible Markup Language files to export audio and other information out of Final Cut Pro. Unfortunately as of now, Pro Tools and other audio applications do not inherently know how to read or import an XML file.
So in this course, we'll be using a third application called X2Pro Audio Convert. X2Pro Audio Convert is able to read the exported XML file and convert it to an AAF file, Advanced Authoring Format file. This file is a supported Avid and Pro Tools file type that can be imported into Pro Tools. A quick word about Pro Tools, we'll be using Pro Tools 10 in this course, but as of Pro Tools 9, you can run all versions of Pro Tools without any attached hardware. All you need is an iLok USB dongle attached with the Pro Tools authorization.
So the goal of this course is to get you familiar with the workflow between these two programs, Pro Tools and Final Cut Pro. We'll spend a little time going over some audio possibilities in Pro Tools, but what we'll show you is really just the tip of the iceberg. Some will just use this information in this course to better manage their project workflow, while others might get really into what's possible with Pro Tools, and they'll want to learn more about post-production audio.
Note: This course was updated to reflect the changes to Final Cut Pro X v. 10.1.x. Although the course was not re-recorded from scratch, we updated the applicable movies by adding text overlays to guide you to existing changes. We also updated the exercise files to work with the most current version of the software. Please watch the "Using the exercise files" movie to learn exactly what to expect from this updated course. Working with an earlier version of Final Cut Pro X? Watch Audio Post Workflow with Final Cut Pro X v10.0.9 and Pro Tools.
- Preparing the Final Cut Pro timeline for export
- Exporting audio
- Importing audio in Pro Tools
- Choosing sources and assigning tracks
- Adding sound effects and music
- Enhancing the audio with crossfades and noise reduction
- Exporting audio from Pro Tools